United States of America Research Unit for Informational Text!
This unit is perfect for students who are learning how to use informational text and studying the U.S.A. Students will first learn how to use the text features in informational text including the table of contents and index. Then, students will be assigned a state to research and a partner to work with. Students will have a United States of America Research Journal that they will use as a guide as they research the United States and their assigned state.
Once students have completed their research, they will use it to complete two culminating activities: a report/presentation and a salt dough state map. For the salt dough fossils, students will shape the salt dough into their state! Finally, other classes and parents will be invited to the "State Fair" where your students can show off their cool salt dough maps!
Who is it for?
- 3rd-5th grade teachers who are teaching their students about informational text or the United States of America.
- Homeschool families whose children love presidents.
- Parents who want their students ENGAGED in informational text.
- Anyone who LOVES the U.S.A.
- This unit will get your students highly engaged in reading informational text.
- Students will WANT to read to learn more about their state.
- It is a perfect way to integrate ELA and Social Studies.
- Perfect for AMERICA LOVERS!
How does it work?
- Simply download and print and gather informational texts for your children to use!
- Download is for ONE educator or family. Thank you in advance for your honesty!
You may also enjoy:
Animals and Habitats Research Unit
Dinosaur Research Unit
Solar System Research Unit
-Table of Contents & Index Mini Lesson
-Other Text Features Mini Lesson
-My United States of America Research Journal Instructions
-Salt Dough Maps & State Report Instructions
-Salt Dough Maps Example
-Presentations & State Fair Instructions
-Unit Parent Letter
-State Fair Invitation
-Using the Table of Contents & Index Worksheet
-Text Features Worksheet
-My United States of America Research Journal Cover + 19 writing prompts. 10 pages (20 student pages once cut in half)
***BONUS! Full document also included in Ink Friendly Black & White for your convenience***