Finding the Theme with Aesop's Fables
Finding the theme can be confusing for students. It's always so hard to teach! Using fables helps students identify themes easily!
-A classroom poster for THEME.
-3 pages to be used as a teaching tool for finding theme and discussing the differences between topic, plot, fable, moral, and theme.
Fable #1: The Tortoise and the Hare
Fable #2: The Lion and the Mouse
- story mapping page including problem/conflict, solution, moral, and theme
- 18-20 multiple choice and open-ended questions assessing theme and actions of character
- A story mapping page and lined paper for students to write their own fable.
I added an answer key to make it easier for you to discuss the questions with your student/students. These activities were intended to be used whole group, small group setting, or with individual students. Unless your students are comfortable with theme, they will likely struggle while completing these activities independently.
Suggestions for Use:
- Copy the entire packet for students.
- Use the first 3 pages as a teaching tool for finding theme and discussing the differences between topic, plot, fable, moral, and theme.
- Read the fables together.
- Guide students through the story maps using the answer keys.
- Allow students to answer the questions about each fable on their own.
- Check for understanding.
- Allow time for students to brainstorm and write their own fable using the story mapping page and lined paper for writing.
- When writing is complete, have students trade stories. See if students can figure out the theme of their friend’s fable.
For a Love of Teaching began in 2012 with a love and passion for creating high-quality teaching resources for myself and my classroom. It quickly took off, and now I'm able to offer a variety of affordable products and free resources that makes teaching more effective and learning more fun. I have 14 years of experience in the classroom. I am passionate about creating rigorous and engaging products for teachers, parents, and home school educators alike.