Help your sixth-grade students build strong literary analysis and comprehension skills with activities that support Common Core rigor in the areas of Key Ideas and Details, Craft and Structure, and Range of Reading and Level of Text Complexity.
Each of the 9 units provides literary text in a variety of genres such as poetry, fable, realistic fiction, and historical fiction, as well as supporting activities that are easy to scaffold, including:
- Dictionary page to introduce content vocabulary and academic vocabulary
- Close reading activity and close reading discussion
- Learn-and-apply activities covering vocabulary, the literature genre, and literary analysis
- Reading comprehension activity
- Literary response writing activity
Additional teacher support includes:
- Correlations to Common Core State Standards and TEKS for every unit for easy reference
- Downloadable home–school connection activities and projects help to increase parental involvement
- Guided reading levels to help identify appropriate texts for students
- A walk-through of each literary text selection and activity pages that support the unit
The 9 units explore these genres and reading selections:
- Science Fiction: “My Unusual Saturday”
- Realistic Fiction: “Two Thoughtful Gifts,” adapted from The Gift of the Magi by O. Henry
- Poetry: "The New Vestments" by Edward Lear
- Adventure Fiction: “Hanging Out with the Bindi-Way Tribe”
- Realistic Fiction: “Brick-and-Mortar Bookstores”
- Historical Fiction: “The Record of One Ancient Egyptian Woman”
- Poetry: “The Brook,” by Alfred, Lord Tennyson
- Fable: “Notoriety Is Not Fame”
- Historical Fiction: “Jerry and the Grape Boycott”/”Jerry’s Dad and the Grape Boycott”
About the Seller
Since 1979, Evan-Moor Educational Publishers has provided educators with practical, creative, and engaging PreK–8 materials to support and enrich the core curriculum.
We strive to produce educational materials that are aligned with current standards and best educational practices—and with student interests and motivations. We pride ourselves on our ability to create products that not only build and reinforce basic and complex skills, but that develop a curiosity about the subjects in which those skills are taught.
PLEASE NOTE: ORDERS PLACED AFTER DECEMBER 21, 2017 WILL BE SHIPPED ON JANUARY 2, 2018.