This self-paced reading program is designed to help beginning readers develop confidence in reading with comprehension. It combines phonics and sight word recognition skills to teach a child how to read fluently and expressively. Language arts skills of spelling, punctuation, grammar, handwriting, and reading comprehension are included. The daily lessons incorporate the use of flashcards, games, activities, and independent written practice. The child will continue to learn to read long vowel words, words with consonant blends, words with double vowels, words with prefixes and suffixes, contractions, compounds, and sight words within context. He will continue to alphabetize words, identify homophones, divide words into syllables, make singular words plural, and identify synonyms and antonyms. He will learn to recognize and write abbreviations, root words, onomatopoeias, and a friendly letter. He will also learn to recognize cause and effect relationships, use verbal and nonverbal communication, differentiate between fact and opinion, use logic to solve a problem, follow three-step oral directions, and understand a parody and a proverb.
This content is included in the First Grade Complete curriculum.
Who is it for?
- Students learning to read
- Students needing reinforcement
- Daily lesson plans
- Step-by-step instructions for teaching your child
- Student Workbook pages for practice with each lesson
- Reading practice pages
- Activities for different learning styles
- Enrichment activities to challenge advanced learners
- Handwriting guidelines
- Documentation of skills taught
- Appendix with additional resources