The other day my hubby said, “I want you to take a week off school and teach the kids how to clean properly.” Not that our house is exactly a mess or anything, but as a homeschooling mom, cleaning does get pushed to the side more often than I’d like to admit. Around the same time, I noticed the Zone Cleaning Program. When I also noticed it’s made by the same people who make Times Tales, I was sold!
After Zone Cleaning came in the mail, I chose a day for our Cleaning Extravaganza. It could not have gone more perfectly! My kids have had chores since they could talk, pretty much, but Zone Cleaning has taught them how to be more thorough, to clean in a way that doesn’t need to be re-cleaned by me, and it is just a godsend!
I cannot imagine a better spent $20! I am not even kidding– my house looks stellar, and my kids have that feeling of accomplishment, knowing they’ve worked hard and done an amazing job. I’ve tried chore charts and reward systems, but this is by far the easiest and the most all-encompassing.
The booklet includes a simple visual representation of each step to a clean room. I like that they can check off what needs to be done as it is done – it keeps them from forgetting anything and gives them a sense of accomplishment each time they check something off. (I’m not kidding–even my older kids count off those checks and brag about them!)
The rooms included are bedroom, bathroom, kitchen and living room. There are spaces for you to write additional items that are helpful for me, as well. I like that it assigns a day each week to extra jobs like dusting or wiping chairs and cabinets. That way nothing gets out of control, one chore at a time.
As a busy mom, this is just what I needed! Cleaning is less of a burden now, and it’s a blessing to be able to look around at a clean home and to relax without feeling like something more needs to be done. A wonderful way to start a new year!
Who’s it for?
Any parents who want their kids to do their chores with a happy heart…. the right way! My kiddos are 8-11, ages I think are ideal for this program, but it could be used with kids as young as 6 through the teen years.
What’s the cost? What’s included?
The cost is $19.95, and you get:
- A fully-laminated flip chart, allowing for all sections to be checked with a dry-erase marker and customized by Mom or Dad with a wet-erase marker.
- Instructional DVD that walks children through the process demonstrating the correct way to complete each task. The DVD also gives parents tips on how to best utilize the program.
- Dry-erase marker.
- Basket labels used for cleaning the bedroom.
- Kid-friendly Cleaning Solutions E-Book filled with frugal, non-toxic cleaners you can make yourself.
About the All-Star Blogger
Celena Marie is a historical fiction writer and graduate school student majoring in Elementary Education. She’s been homeschooling her four kiddos for six years and absolutely loves it! She blogs about all things ladylike and homeschooling on The Traveling Sisterhood.
More posts from Celena
- Learn Multiplication Tables in an Hour with Times Tales
- Summer Reading List for Animal Lovin’ Middle Schoolers
- National Parks as Classrooms: The Grand Canyon
- Creative Ways to Capture Back to School Photos
- How to Do Homeschool History the Exciting Way