"I have never started a poem yet whose end I knew. Writing a poem is discovering."--Robert Frost
Help your students discover the fun of writing poetry using the engaging activities in Poetry Patterns & Themes. With 41 types of poetry covered, your students will practice everything from traditional verse (couplets, haiku) to more colorful selections (sneaky poetry, inside-outside poetry). Each lesson introduces the poetic form with a definition and example of the poetry covered. Then a step-by-step writing form leads students through the process of creating their own works of art.
You'll love Poetry Patterns & Themes because it:
- supports 6-Trait writing. Activities are designed to build skills in each trait -- ideas, organization, word choice, sentence fluency, voice, and conventions. And a trait-based writing guide at the beginning of the book makes it easy to see exactly which skills are being developed.
- makes teaching poetry easy. Teacher pages explain each poetic form and give ideas for conducting lessons. Teaching more difficult types of poetry isn't as daunting with guided instruction and step-by-step student writing forms.
- inspires reluctant writers. A variety of traditional and non-traditional poetry forms makes writing fun!
- addresses grade-appropriate topics and themes. It's easy to implement poetry into your day when the poems address curricular themes. Use a poem to spice up an everyday lesson or try it as an extension activity.
- includes resources and directions for creating a poetry portfolio. Portfolios work great for individual assessments and provide opportunities for class anthologies.
- is correlated to state standards.
Each lesson in Poetry Patterns & Themes contains two components:
- A teacher page that describes the poetry form and pattern, shows one or more student-written examples, and gives suggestions for conducting the lesson.
- A reproducible student work form that guides students through the writing process for each poetry pattern using step-by-step directions. Many pages also provide an area where the completed poem can be written.
Give your students the practice they need to become strong writers! Use Poetry Patterns & Themes with your class today!
About the Seller
Since 1979, Evan-Moor Educational Publishers has provided educators with practical, creative, and engaging PreK–8 materials to support and enrich the core curriculum.
We strive to produce educational materials that are aligned with current standards and best educational practices—and with student interests and motivations. We pride ourselves on our ability to create products that not only build and reinforce basic and complex skills, but that develop a curiosity about the subjects in which those skills are taught.
PLEASE NOTE: ORDERS PLACED AFTER DECEMBER 21, 2017 WILL BE SHIPPED ON JANUARY 2, 2018.