Editable persuasive essay plans & handouts for English Language Arts grades 5 - 8.
Help your students master the writing process by taking them through it step-by-step.
This persuasive essay packet includes....
1. Teacher instructions - complete instructions including content notes and suggested pacing
2. Student handout - a 10-page guide that walks the students through the writing process. This includes....
* Teaching them the format of a formal 5-paragraph essay
* Helping them choose a topic
* Guiding them through writing a thesis statement and good topic sentences
* Instructing them how to write a rough draft
* Providing them checklists to both rewrite then edit their drafts
3. Two grading options - both a hollistic and rubric grading form are provided with instructions for how to use each of them.
4. Sample essay - the sample essay can be used as an example for students
The file also includes both a PDF and editable Word version of the file.
This packet provides step-by-step instructions for a formal, five-paragraph essay. The focus of the exercise is on the structure and format for a formal, five-paragraph persuasive essay.
I used this process when teaching 6th grade English, and found it to be incredibly helpful in teaching both the format and structure as well as reinforcing the writing process.