Table of Contents Support your third-grade students in close reading discussions of nonfiction and fiction texts with practice that supports Common Core methodology. Each unit contains two related reading selections that reflect third-grade science and social studies topics and are focused around an essential question. For example, How does water affect our lives? (essential question) connects “Water All Around Us” (a nonfiction article) and “Panika’s Favorite Season” (a fictional story). The activities in each unit help students:
- Learn and apply academic vocabulary in context
- Participate in oral close reading discussions
- Answer comprehension questions
- Write to a prompt with the help of a graphic organizer
This resource includes:
- Eight robust units that include a unit assessment with discussion of the topic, texts, and essential question, as well as a writing prompt.
- Downloadable home–school connection activities and projects that extend learning at home.
- Common Core correlations for every unit for easy reference.
Plus, the suggested learning path is easy to scaffold!
About the Seller
Since 1979, Evan-Moor Educational Publishers has provided educators with practical, creative, and engaging PreK–8 materials to support and enrich the core curriculum.
We strive to produce educational materials that are aligned with current standards and best educational practices—and with student interests and motivations. We pride ourselves on our ability to create products that not only build and reinforce basic and complex skills, but that develop a curiosity about the subjects in which those skills are taught.