This vowel digraph resource pack includes 132 vowel digraph word building mats to help your students practice spelling words with:
• long a vowel digraphs ai and ay: tail, rain, sail, nail, paint, snail, mail, pail, lay, hay, pay, ray, tray, pray, spray, say
• long e vowel digraphs ee and ea: read, team, tea, meat, beach, peach, leap, seal, feet, feed, peek, peel, sheep, weed, queen, wheel
• long i digraphs ie and igh: fight, light, night, tight, knight, high, die, lie, pie, tie, dried, fried
• long o vowel digraphs oa and ow: goat, loaf, soak, road, toast, float, roach, coach, bow, bowl, mow, blow, grow, crow, snow, throw
• variant vowel digraphs oi and oy: boil, coin, coil, oil, soil, oink, point, poison, joy, toy, boy, soy, oyster, royal
• variant vowel digraphs ew and ue: glue, fuel, cue, duel, clue, blue, dew, flew, new, pew, screw, grew
• variant vowel digraphs au and aw: launch, haul, haunt, vault, sauce, pause, claw, paw, yawn, crawl, straw, saw, lawn, draw
• variant vowel digraphs ow and ou: down, howl, crowd, owl, growl, cow, frown, clown, laud, couch, flour, pound, snouth, south, out, cloud
• variant vowel digraph oo: look, book, cook, hook, wood, hood, foot, woof, moon, hoop, tools, roof, boot, food, tooth, broom
To prepare these activities, laminate the cards and cut in half if desired. Students will take a card, look at the picture, and build or write the word. Sound boxes are provided. Magnet letters work well for this activity, but it can also be done as a write-and-wipe activity using dry erase markers on laminated cards.
Recording sheets for nine commonly paired vowel digraphs are also included. If you do not wish to use the recording sheets, you can make these activities self-checking by writing the word on the back of the card.
I recommend going over the pictures as a whole group before doing this as an independent center activity.
If you and your students enjoy this product, please consider following my store. Freebies and new products are posted regularly. You can contact me with any questions or requests at [email protected]
- Amanda Taylor @ Second Grade Smiles
About the Seller
I have been teaching elementary school in an urban district in Massachusetts for six years. I began my career teaching in first grade and have now transitioned into second grade. I especially enjoy creating engaging book studies and center activities for my students.
I believe in providing my students with plenty of positive reinforcement and a variety of ways to access any and all academic content. My lessons incorporate authentic, hands-on, and cooperative learning experiences whenever possible, and I provide many opportunities to build reading and writing skills across all content areas.
I hold a bachelor's degree from Clark University where I majored in Psychology and minored in Education and Sociology. My master's degree is in Teaching and is also from Clark University.