Math Mammoth Light Blue Series constitutes a full elementary mathematics curriculum for grades 1-7.
Some of the main features of the curriculum are:
- It is mastery-oriented and organized into chapters by topics. Thus, in each chapter the curriculum concentrates on one theme and its connecting topics (such as place value, multiplication, or geometry). Each grade level typically contains 8-10 chapters.
- The curriculum focuses strongly on conceptual understanding.
- Visual models and exercises are used a lot.
- Mental math and number sense are emphasized.
- The curriculum is nearly self-teaching for many children, since the full explanations of concepts are included in the student books. Thus it requires fairly little preparation time from the teacher.
- The curriculum meets and exceeds the Common Core Standards.
What is provided?
The CD contains the curriculum for each of the grades from 1 through 7 as PDF files.
Each grade level consists of two student worktexts (A and B), which contain both the teaching (explanations) and all the student work (exercises). Also included are answer keys, tests, cumulative review lessons, and a versatile worksheet maker (Internet access required).
Additionally, the CD provides these "extras":
- files to replace the chapter on money in grades 1, 2, and 3 in Canadian, British, European, Australian, and South African currencies. The student worktexts use U.S. dollars as a default currency.
- bonus software Soft-Pak
- user guide (you can also download this from the web page of each grade level)
- Common Core alignment documentation (you can also download this from the web page of each grade level)
About the Seller
Maria Miller, the author of the Math Mammoth books, is a math teacher turned homeschooler. She has a master's degree in mathematics with the teacher educational studies, and minors in physics and statistics. The aim of her math books is first and foremost to explain math in very simple terms, yet rigorously, concentrating on understanding of concepts.