Customers who bought this also bought
Who is it for?
Ideal for grades 3-8
HELP Math is the first instructional program to successfully incorporate sheltered instruction practices into a comprehensive academic curriculum using technology. The sheltered instruction is designed to improve the learner's understanding of the content, while simultaneously developing their English language proficiency by:
- Increasing comprehensibility by scaffolding the learning, e.g. breaking down concepts into small, comprehensible “learning chunks”; synchronizing visuals, audio and interactivity to create a visual connection between words, symbols, and meaning.
- Building background knowledge and prerequisite skills.
- Targeting vocabulary development by emphasizing math content language as well as academic English; available to students as hyperlinked words within the instruction, and within an online dictionary of mathematical terms, including audio.
- Providing bilingual support for custom curriculum and assessment. Teacher has the option of switching on/off.
- Explicitly teaching problem-solving and test-taking skills, providing multiple opportunities for student responses and immediate corrective feedback when errors are made.
What is included?
Note: This is a one-year license.
- Evidence-based: Gold Standard experimental research by the University of Colorado involving more than 1,000 students nationally showed significant increases in ELL student achievement.
- Proven Effective: showing gains of more than 70%: for 6th and 7th grade ELL students on standards-aligned tests (NCTM) in independent research funded by the Colorado Department of Education.
- Targets vocabulary development and academic English: read-aloud, Spanish/English hyperlinked key terms and glossary with pictorial examples and audio reinforcement; comprehensible input and language load factored into design and delivery of content.
- Builds background knowledge and prerequisite mathematics skills.
- Student-centered: enables students to engage with material at their own pace. On the computer, students can move faster or slower through a lesson depending on their ability.
- Embeds sheltered instruction and other research-based strategies directly into a mathematics curriculum (see Sheltered Instruction tab).
- Scaffolds learning by breaking concepts into small learning chunks with clear modeling of solution and directions, followed by interactive student practice.
- HELP support tools may be accessed anytime and phased out when they are no longer needed. Tools include: Key Terms Dictionary & Hyperlinks (pictures and audio in English and Spanish); Bilingual Support (content and assessments); Need More Help Buttons (descriptive, immediate feedback); Virtual Manipulatives & Interactivities (protractor, number lines, base-10 blocks).
- Highly interactive, colorful and musical: triggers multiple modalities, incorporating voice, music, visuals, text, and interactivity.
- Aligns directly to math standards: Common Core State Standards, National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) and to ELL state content standards and assessment frameworks for mathematics (grades 3-8).
- Teaches problem-solving and test-taking skills: how to read, comprehend and answer look-alike questions from state standardized math tests.
- Uses visual representation to make content comprehensible without simplification.
- Provides interactive feedback: constructive suggestions for improvement.