Customers who bought this also bought
This 3-5 week unit focuses on the basic characteristics of a community including:
* Physical Characteristics of Communities (Landforms, Climate, Natural Resources and Natural Hazards)
* Human Characteristics of Communities (Roads, Homes, Buildings, Transportation, Parks, Bridges, etc.)
* Cultural Characteristics of Communities (Language, Art, Clothing, Traditions, Celebrations)
Students begin by looking closely at their own community and then learn about other communities. They compare communities and features of communities to better understand why they form, how they form, and how they meet the needs of people. They learn about ways that humans adapt in order to thrive in different communities, as well as the ways humans change the land to meet their needs. They also study individuals who influenced how communities form, look, and work.
The Unit Includes:
* instructions for each lesson
* full color images of landforms, climate, natural resources, natural hazards, and different communities
* graphic organizers
* writing with sentence stems
* maps (both Texas and the United States)
* fact sheets on different communities
* fact sheets on Benjamin Franklin, Daniel Boone, Christopher Columbus, and Benjamin Banneker
* a human, physical, and cultural characteristic sort
My favorite part of this unit is when students must create their own community. They are responsible for thinking about the different needs of the people and planning for those needs. After creating a map key and completing their map they end by reflecting on how their choices effected the natural features of the land.
Everything you need to help students understand communities!
About the Seller
I'm a wife, mom, and teacher in Texas. I've taught first and third grade, worked as an Instructional Coach for grades K-5, and am currently a part-time intervention teacher. I love planning and creating curriculum that is teacher and kid-friendly. I author the blog "Teacher Trap" and love connecting with teachers around the country.