Math Mammoth Grade 2 Complete Curriculum is a complete math program for 2nd grade. It consists of two student worktexts (A and B; provided as PDF files), a separate answer key for each, tests, cumulative reviews, and an additional worksheet maker (Internet access required) to make extra practice worksheets when needed. Note: this is a downloadable product.
The four main areas of study for second grade are:
- Understanding of the base-ten system within 1000. This includes place value with three-digit numbers, skip- counting in fives, tens, and multiples of hundreds, tens, and ones (within 1000). (chapters 6 and 8);
- Develop fluency with addition and subtraction within 100, including solving word problems, regrouping in addition, and regrouping in subtraction (chapters 1, 3, 4, and 8);
- Using standard units of measure (chapter 7);
- Describing and analyzing shapes (chapter 5).
Additional topics we study are time/clock (chapter 2), money (chapter 9), introduction to multiplication (chapter 10), and bar graphs and picture graphs (in various chapters).
Some main features of Math Mammoth complete curriculum (Light Blue series) are:
- focuses on understanding of mathematical concepts
- uses clear explanations, lots of visual exercises and pattern exercises
- mastery oriented: concentrates fairly long on a topic, with fairly few topics per grade
- emphasizes mental math and developing number sense
- very little teacher preparation needed
About the Seller
Maria Miller, the author of the Math Mammoth books, is a math teacher turned homeschooler. She has a master's degree in mathematics with the teacher educational studies, and minors in physics and statistics. The aim of her math books is first and foremost to explain math in very simple terms, yet rigorously, concentrating on understanding of concepts.