Heroes Change Communities Unit for 3rd Grade Social Studies! Students explore the characteristics of a hero while studying historical figures throughout history.
Who is This For?
3rd Grade Students
Teachers looking for ready-to-go resources and engaging activities
What is Included?
This 2-4 week unit focuses on heroes and how heroes influence communities. Many heroes listed in the Texas standards lack easy to find resources so I've compiled a list of resources with book titles, links, and fact sheets to go along with this unit.
* Exploring Heroes: Students read, talk, and learn about different heroes and reflect on what it means to be hero. They will learn the traits of a hero and how a hero is defined by their traits, deeds, and beliefs. Students work in groups to research a hero, create a poster, and then create a giant timeline!
* My Heroes and Me: In the second part, students think about their own personal heroes and create a poster to share with the class. They study first responders as heroes, and end by reflecting on ways that they can be a hero for others.
* detailed lesson plans
* full color images of historical figures
* graphic organizers
* writing activities with sentence stems
* hero foldup
* template for hero trading cards
* templates for posters
* resources and fact sheets on the heroes studied
Heroes Included: Ruby Bridges, Helen Keller, Clara Barton, Juliette Gordon Low, James A. Lovell, Todd Beamer, Ellen Ochoa, Hector P. Garcia, Martin Luther King, Jr., and The Four Chaplains.
*Extension Activities also included!
All the resources you need to help students learn about heroes and meet the Texas TEKS in one fun unit! Easily adaptable to any timeline and perfect for integration into reading and writing work.
For more about this product (including a list of focus standards) and to view sample pages, click thePREVIEW button above!
Thanks so much! I hope you found just what you needed!:)
Kady from The Teacher Trap
About the Seller
I'm a wife, mom, and teacher in Texas. I've taught first and third grade, worked as an Instructional Coach for grades K-5, and am currently a part-time intervention teacher. I love planning and creating curriculum that is teacher and kid-friendly. I author the blog "Teacher Trap" and love connecting with teachers around the country.