CUBES is a popular and effective mnemonic to help children recall the steps necessary to complete math story problems successfully. As a homeschooling mom, I have seen firsthand how effective the CUBES mnemonic is. It has worked wonders for my dyslexic daughter. The CUBES and action words posters can be printed back-to-back and laminated for long durability and ease of use at a math station in the classroom or at desk work.
Who is it for?
- Math learners
- 2nd Graders, (7 to 8-year-olds)
- 3rd Graders (8 to 9-year-olds)
- 4th Graders (9 to 10-year-olds)
- 5th Graders (10 to 11-year-olds)
- 6th Graders (11 to 12-year-olds)
· One printable/poster highlighting each CUBES step
· One printable/poster listing key action words for all four math operations (addition, subtraction, multiplication and division).
· One handout with CUBES and action words combined.
· Two printable/poster story problem samples demonstrating the CUBES steps in action.
· Twelve task cards for students to practice CUBES. Tasks are incremental. The first set of four tasks are single-step and offer practice in each of the four math operations. The second and third sets are two-step story problems and practice each of the four math operations.
· Four blank task cards for you to write in your own story problems
· One answer key for the task cards