Sentences on the Farm: Complete and Incomplete Sentence Practice
This farm-themed complete and incomplete sentence resource is perfect for primary students working on identifying sentences vs. fragments and writing complete sentences.
It includes the following activities:
• Scarecrow’s Scrambled Sentences: Students will manipulate each set of scrambled words to build a sentence. This activity works well as a partner or individual literacy center. To prepare, simply laminate the sentence pages, cut out, and place each sentence in its own plastic baggie at the center. A recording sheet is provided. Words belonging to the same sentence are marked with a matching picture to prevent mix-ups at the center table.
• Farmer Sandy’s Subjects / Farmer Sandy’s Naming Parts: Students chose a subject strip and add their own predicate to make a complete sentence. Two direction sheet options are included, one using the terms subject and predicate, and the other using the terms naming part and action part. In my own classroom, I use this activity in a literacy center, but it could also be done as a whole group activity. A recording sheet is provided.
• Farmer Pete’s Predicates / Farmer Pete’s Action Parts: Students chose a predicate strip and add their own subject to make a complete sentence. Again, two direction sheet options are included, one using the terms subject and predicate, and the other using the terms naming part and action part. I also use this activity in a literacy center, but it could also be done as a whole group activity. A recording sheet is provided.
• Barnyard Sentences: At this center, students will read eight farm-themed sentences and sentence fragments and will get plenty of sentence writing practice as they identify and rewrite the incomplete sentences. Students will enjoy putting complete sentences "into the barn“. Cards are provided in two colors to prevent mix-ups if you would like multiple groups of children to work at the same center. (You can cut out the barn doors and use a binder clip on the bottom to hold up the barn if you would like.) A recording sheet is provided.
• Cut and Paste Printables: Three farm-themed complete and incomplete sentence cut-and-paste printables are also included. The first two ask students to cut, sort, and paste complete and incomplete sentences. The final activity is a little more challenging and asks students to find the incomplete sentences and rewrite them as complete sentences.
All center direction sheets are available with and without colored borders so you can save ink if you so choose.
Common Core Standards addressed:
*CCS.1.L.1j: Produce and expand complete simple and compound declarative, interrogative, imperative, and exclamatory sentences in response to prompts.
*CCS.2.L.1f: Produce, expand, and rearrange complete simple and compound sentences.
If you enjoy this product, please consider following my store. I post new products and freebies regularly! You can contact me with any questions or requests at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Amanda @ Second Grade Smiles
About the Seller
I have been teaching elementary school in an urban district in Massachusetts for six years. I began my career teaching in first grade and have now transitioned into second grade. I especially enjoy creating engaging book studies and center activities for my students.
I believe in providing my students with plenty of positive reinforcement and a variety of ways to access any and all academic content. My lessons incorporate authentic, hands-on, and cooperative learning experiences whenever possible, and I provide many opportunities to build reading and writing skills across all content areas.
I hold a bachelor's degree from Clark University where I majored in Psychology and minored in Education and Sociology. My master's degree is in Teaching and is also from Clark University.