Happy Homeschool Month! The whole month of January we will have NEW DEALS every week for you to stock up for the new year! PLUS, Free Shipping on orders over $150 in the Contiguous US.
Read Educents' Terms & Conditions here
This book study was created to accompany the book Miss Rumphius by Barbara Cooney. All the activities were designed to encourage students to read closely and think critically about the text.
The following activities are included:
• Comprehension Strips: Comprehension strips allow students to practice returning to a text to find key information to answer specific questions. They are a fun alternative to a traditional question and answer worksheet and can be used as an individual or partner literacy center, in a scoot style game, or as a whole class activity when displayed under a document camera. Twelve comprehension strips and recording sheets are included.
• Sequencing Activity: Students will cut out events from the story, order those events, and paste them in the correct sequence, returning to the text for reference as needed.
• Brace Map: Students will complete a “can, has, is” brace map as they think about the character Miss Rumphius.
• Postcard Writing Activity: Pretending they are Miss Rumphius, students will write a postcard to Miss Rumphius’s grandfather telling him about a faraway place she has visited.
• Writing Prompt: Inspired by Miss Rumphius, students will write about one way they can make the world a more beautiful place. (Two options are included, one with space for an illustration and the other without.)
• Essential Questions: Includes five open questions for use with literature circles, partner discussion, or Socratic dialogues. These could also be adapted for use as open-ended writing prompts.
This pack addresses the following Common Core Standards for Grade 1: *RL.1.1: Ask and answer questions about key details in a text. *RL.1.3: Describe characters, settings, and major events in a story, using key details. *SL.1.1: Participate in collaborative conversations with diverse partners about grade 1 topics and texts with peers and adults in small and larger groups. *SL.1.2: Ask and answer questions about key details in a text read aloud or information presented orally or through other media. *W.1.8: With guidance and support from adults, recall information from experiences or gather information from provided sources to answer a question.
This pack addresses the following Common Core Standards for Grade 2: *RL.2.1: Ask and answer such questions as who, what, where, when, why, and how to demonstrate understanding of key details in a text. *RL.2.7: Use information gained from the illustrations and words in a print or digital text to demonstrate understanding of its characters, setting, or plot. *SL.2.1: Participate in collaborative conversations with diverse partners about grade 2 topics and texts with peers and adults in small and larger groups. *SL.2.2: Recount or describe key ideas or details from a text read aloud or information presented orally or through other media. *W.2.8: Recall information from experiences or gather information from provided sources to answer a question.
This pack addresses the following Common Core Standards for Grade 3: *RL.3.1: Ask and answer questions to demonstrate understanding of a text, referring explicitly to the text as the basis for the answers. *SL.3.1: Engage effectively in a range of collaborative discussions (one-on-one, in groups, and teacher-led) with diverse partners on grade 3 topics and texts, building on others' ideas and expressing their own clearly.
Please note that the book is not included.
If you enjoy this product, please consider following my store. I post new products and freebies regularly! You can contact me with any questions or requests at [email protected]
Thank you, Amanda Taylor @ Second Grade Smiles
Ask The Seller
There aren't any questions, go ahead and ask one now!
I have been teaching elementary school in an urban district in Massachusetts for six years. I began my career teaching in first grade and have now transitioned into second grade. I especially enjoy creating engaging book studies and center activities for my students.
I believe in providing my students with plenty of positive reinforcement and a variety of ways to access any and all academic content. My lessons incorporate authentic, hands-on, and cooperative learning experiences whenever possible, and I provide many opportunities to build reading and writing skills across all content areas.
I hold a bachelor's degree from Clark University where I majored in Psychology and minored in Education and Sociology. My master's degree is in Teaching and is also from Clark University.