* This resource is loaded with everything you need to teach 3rd grade Common Core Spelling for the entire year!
* The 36 lessons were carefully created to target 3rd grade spelling/word work skills needed. They are well researched and based on The Common Core and The Continuum of Literacy Learning, by Irene Fountas and Gay Su Pinnell.
* Each of the 36 lessons will be the foundation for spelling/word work learning for the week.
* Additional activities, practice tests, games, and tests are also included.
* This method of teaching spelling goes way beyond the traditional approach of assigning the same list of words to every student, having them memorize the words, taking a test, and then moving on.
* With these lessons and the framework for each week of learning (as described on the next few pages) you will find this spelling instruction much different than the traditional weekly spelling units!!
***Please note that several of these lessons are the same as other grades. There are also several lessons that have been changed to meet the specific needs of 3rd graders. Because I followed a continuum of learning as researched by Irene Fountas and Gay Sue Pinnell, several of the lessons are taught in more than one grade.
I have taught 6 years as a classroom teacher and 3 years as a reading specialist. I am currently working on creating instructional lessons for teachers full time. I also spend time as an independent consultant, modeling lessons and offering professional development in literacy instruction. I love my job and helping teachers!!
MY TEACHING STYLE
I take a constructivist, inquiry-based approach to learning. I believe students learn best when they think critically, analyze, synthesize, and evaluate their abilities. Students learn how to learn. They ask questions that are meaningful to them, play an active role in selecting and defining activities with their peers, direct their own learning, and build knowledge through a collaborative, social process.
* Bachelor's degree in elementary education grades 1-8 (University of Wisconsin- Oshkosh)
* Master's degree in reading education PreK-12 (University of South Alabama)