Solve riddles every day to give your students lots of practice inferring, identifying and answering key questions, and building vocabulary. Riddles are a form of informational text. Solving riddles is a fun-filled and engaging way to lay the groundwork for early comprehension skills!
Use this set of 20 riddle cards in kindergarten, first grade, and second grade...
* As a whole class or small group activity, to demonstrate how to integrate the information in the clues and use the information to eliminate incorrect choices
* As a pocket chart center matching activity
* As a small group or literacy center game
* With ESL students to extend and practice seasonal vocabulary
* With speech and language students for concept and language development
In addition to the riddle cards, this set also includes...
* Two four-in-a-row game cards
* A themed riddle-writing page suitable for use as a whole class or writing center activity.
Riddles for these words are included in this set: gourd, pulp, stem, scarecrow, fall, pumpkin patch, applesauce, apple tree, orchard, pie, jack o' lantern, seed, core, pumpkin, field, harvest, apple, vine, basket, and farmer.
This resource is for use by a single classroom and/or teacher. No part of this resource may be posted on a blog (personal or commercial), webpage/site, server, or other location that is accessible by multiple people.
If you enjoy using riddles as a teaching tool, here are some other riddle sets at my Educents store.
I'm proud to have been a teacher for 26 years, with most of my experience and my happiest days spent in the primary grades. I've taught Reading Recovery, Basic Skills, first grade, and even a first grade literacy intervention class. As a big believer in hands-on learning, you'll see that center activities and games are among my favorite resources to create! Student engagement is key to learning that lasts, so I strive to create differentiated fun activities that will keep your students excited about learning!